Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Snow day awakening



When I was a little boy, I remember having one snow day for my entire elementary existence. It was one of the greatest days of my eight year old life. Running up the hill with sled in hand, I knocked on my best friend, Tim's door. Within five minutes we were outside again, the only two creators of footprints in our world. No one had been out to shovel so our sidewalk became the greatest sledding hill of all time. Up and down we traveled Colorado Street racing each other in our freedom from concerns. Nothing mattered on that snowy day so long ago, except the joy we felt as we lived in the moment. By the time we were called inside to warm up three other friends had joined us in our adventure. We all gulped our hot chocolate and begged to be released from the confines of inside. On that snowy day we must have packed a thousand snowballs, created a village of snowmen, and celebrated the magnificence of a day off to its fullest.

Today we are celebrating our fourth snow day of the year here in the north country. Fyn woke up around 6 so excited for another day. I threw three logs in the wood stove and started making a pot of Justice Blend. While it brewed, I lay down on the floor to begin the day with yoga as Fyn played with his wood stacker. My chest seemed the perfect play area for him as he placed the rings on the center pole over and over. Each time a look of joy spread across his face as if to say, "I did it." I smiled as I continued to breathe in and out, thankful for this opportunity to share in his delight. Every so often, he'd rise on wobbly legs to race around in circles laughing at the kitties before returning to our yoga session.

He has returned to bed so I sit down to write until he wakes, which probably won't be long. In fact I think I hear him now. Time to enjoy our snow day.

No comments: